Best Birthday Breakfast… ever.

Alrighty, you avid readers (all 3 of you) … I will make my best attempts to convey our engagement in blog-like form. I have to warn you though, there is simply no possible way that my words can do it any sort of justice. I would have to hire a real writer for that. So as for now, you get me. Slight disclaimer: I have been to Atlanta and back in 48 hours, my mind is still in Jr. High mode, and I am running on minimal sleep. Give me a little grace. :)

Kyle flew down here last Saturday to spend the week in Winston. Saturday was a blur–he had woken up at 3am to fly to Greensboro, therefore he was pretty much out of sorts the rest of the day. Sunday was busy, he met lots of people and we called the night early and said our goodbyes. We had planned on going to Duke that Monday, which we did… very satisfying for both Kyle and myself. We snuck into Cameron Indoor Stadium–which I must admit was a bit of a milestone in our relationship. Kyle was a little hesitant to go in because it said “closed practice” and the lights were turned off, but CLEARLY no one was practicing and honestly… what harm could it do? What were they going to do, arrest us? No. So we braved it and walked around the stadium long enough for Kyle to feel complete. We are basically bad to the bone.

Tuesday came and went, pretty normal day. I went to work and Kyle read/played basketball/hung out by himself. He met some more people that night–such a trooper. We stopped by Food Lion on our way home from a friend’s house to get breakfast supplies for my Birthday breakfast. We had planned on making breakfast and LuAnn & Wayne’s (where he was staying for the week), and so I went to grab a six eggs (how many eggs can two people eat?) and he grabbed the carton full of twenty eggs. He said we could leave the rest for LuAnn & Wayne. Hmm. Weird… I dismissed it and laughed it off as Kyle being Kyle.

Wednesday morning, I arrived at LuAnn & Wayne’s on time (a victory for me), and Kyle came to the door in complete disarray, appearing as though his eyes were crusted shut and said, “Hey, sorry, I just woke up… I will go get ready. Start making breakfast. I love you, I’m so sorry. Oh… and… don’t go upstairs, your present isn’t wrapped yet. Oh yes, and Happy Birthday.” Trying not to show my aggravation, I smiled sweetly and chuckled on the inside knowing that somehow Kyle always seemed to wake-up late on days that matter. Minutes later, Kyle waltzed into the kitchen, asked me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. After receiving instruction, I opened my eyes and he was on one knee and gently said, “Anne, will you marry me?” I whispered yes without hesitation, and before I could say anything else, Kyle interrupted with, “Hold on, your other present is upstairs. Come follow me.” What? Two presents?

I followed him upstairs, feeling a little unnerved about this whole second present thing… I’m not good with surprises–my quota was about up for one day. He opened the door and there sat three familiar, smiling faces–Caitlin, Laura, and Stephanie–three of my closest friends from high school and college. I screamed as though I had just won Deal or No Deal, and then walked in two of our other friends from college–Jared and Josh. WHAT IN THE WORLD?! They proceeded to tell me that they drove through the night, arrived at 6am, and were here just for my birthday/engagement. Kyle had arranged it all. Every question I had, he had already taken care of… what about this? What about the plane ticket? What about work today? What about the photoshoot? Took care of it. He knew that I would want my friends around to show their support, so he brought them to me.

So, there you have it. I really am such a lucky girl… er, woman.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s