1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I flew solo in youth ministry for 3 months as my co-worker took a sabbatical. I officiated a wedding. And… I dove into the joys of home ownership. :)
2.Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did. I failed. Hah! My resolution was to run the mini-marathon, but that didn’t work out. HOWEVER, I did join the YMCA and am working out routinely, so although I didn’t complete my resolution, I got creative.
This year, my goal is to have balance in my financial life. I want balance everywhere (who doesn’t?), but financially, we are making some adjustments. We want to give more. Save more. Spend less.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, yes. I am in a season of babies & weddings, and I love every minute of it.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. Kyle’s grandfather passed away this fall. One of my former students, Tessa, died this past Spring in a car accident.
5. What countries did you visit?
Zilch. As in none.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Time and space.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 1-First day of Nick’s Sabbatical
March 5-Tessa died
April 30-First GO LOVE INDY. Loved watching our community that day. Rumor has it that I drove around from site to site with some tears.
September 24-Officiated Emily & Brince’s wedding in Eatonton, Georgia
October 23-Celebrated my mom’s 60th birthday in Chicago.
November 12-Stood beside my friend, Katelyn, on her wedding day
December 7-Kyle’s grandfather passed
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
There are lots of little things. I grew a lot this year–in personal maturity, my job, as a wife, sister, daughter, and friend. I just stinkin’ grew!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Taking out anger and frustration from work on my husband. I truly regret that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Definitely my iPhone. Life changer!
12. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, student loans, bills, student loans, bills… welcome to adulthood!
13. What did you get really excited about?
Durham Family Vacation in Florida, haven’t seen most of them since our wedding!
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons, I’ve Got This Friend by The Civil Wars
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Same.
– richer or poorer? Same.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Time and energy in the Word.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Checking email and being on the internet.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Drove all over the place visiting family, led worship at Chapel Rock, and then drove all over the place again. :) Hoping for a more relaxing year in 2012.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men, Parenthood, Parks & Recreation
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Cold Tangerines (Shauna Niequist), Blue Parakeet (Scot McKnight), Making a Mess and Meeting God (Mandy Smith), Radical (David Platt)
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Mumford & Sons, Adele, The Civil Wars, Over the Rhine, Brooke Fraser
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24, and I had a relaxing day with my husband and then went over to a friend’s house for dinner. Low key and perfect.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Deciding early on that I cannot control other people’s choices and decisions. That would’ve saved me a lot of anxiety and stress.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
26. What kept you sane?
Laughing with my husband. Cooking. Funfetti Vacation with my closest friends.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
People are capable of tremendous amounts of good, and tremendous amounts of evil. We desperately need a Savior. Also, chocolate really does help. :)